Friday, July 15, 2005

Date? or Knit? Knit.

So, in the vein of posts about choices, I have decided to share my problem with being faced with the choice of to date or to knit?

As Kim Cattrall as Samantha in Sex and The City said, "The best way to get over a man is to get under another one." This has been my mantra.

Three weeks ago yesterday, I was unceremoniously tossed back into the dating pool - I am now just another fish in this crazy sea. Online dating, smiling hopefully at cute guys in the produce department ("x'cuse me, how can I tell if this cucumber is ripe?" she says gripping the cucumber firmly yet gently in her delicate hand, while batting her eyelashes seductively. "Do you have something in your eye, miss?" he responds.), and other horrible ways of finding the O.N.E. (thanks Online Guy for the acronym).

I have posted my profile on eHarmony (because I do want to find the O.N.E.) and Yahoo (because I'm slightly desperate?), and have met one, count'em, one guy. I've been emailing several through the eHarmony "Stages of Communication," but have met ONE guy. Not to be confused with The O.N.E., just one Online Guy. Nice guy, too. Surprisingly, although eHarmony touts themselves as being able to perfectly match you with people based on a 29 point system, the guy I ended up meeting (Online Guy) was from Yahoo, and we clicked instantly and are too similar for our own good.

I have been on ONE, count'em, ONE date with a "Friend of a Friend (FF)." Now, the FF is a great concept. You know the friend, you know they have good friends, you like the friend, and you hope you'll like the FF. And I did. Nice guy, nice dresser. Nice dinner. Tidy. Nice. That's kind of it.

So, here I am, dog paddling in the dating pool hoping to meet someone more than just nice. Sexy. Passionate. Great body. Fantastic smile. Loves me, loves my dog (who couldn't love that little weasel!? Even Stacy who only loves cats loves my dog because she's "like a cat. She's a cat-dog!" Direct quote.). And here I am, going out on nice dates, wishing I was home knitting.

I was sitting on the couch the other night when I should have been washing my hair for a second date with Online Guy (didn't actually get around to it...let me finish this row...) and the thought actually crossed my mind, "I wish I could bring my knitting with me to dinner." This was the SAME thought that flashed through my head while driving to traffic school. That's quite something. At least there, I could knit. Made one helluva pubic hair scarf too.

Online Guy earned points today when he invited me out to the beach for a one-on-one getting to know me session (didn't want the distraction of sitting at dinner with lots of people coming around including an ex from long ago), and he even said in an IM session, "You can bring your knitting and I'll just lay there and talk to you while you knit." Direct quote, folks. I know, many of you are thinking, "go for it, girl! He could be the O.N.E.!" And, he very well could be.

BUT, I just don't think I'm as ready as I thought I was to get out there with my water wings and flippers to be just another fish in the sea.

1 Comments:

Blogger MC said...

I hear you loud and clear! I ended a relationship in April...although we are still working on things. But I feel like in this in-between time, I should be branching out and meeting people, just in case the O.N.E. is out there and isn't who I have always thought it was. BTW, I don't know that the O.N.E. stands for, but I am happy to hop on any bandwagon I see. That's why I knit too. Anyway, I haven't given eHarmony my money yet...but I did do a little Yahoo!ing, and all that earned me was a temporary stalker. No, thanks...

Anyway, my whole point here is that you will know when you are ready...don't rush it. And for now, you have your friends, your pets, and your knitting...not a bad life!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home